Monday, September 14, 2009

Maltese Olive Oil - food for the skin!


As you probably realised from my previous blog, I am very much intrigued by the ever growing list of benefits of Olive Oil. Being Maltese, I am proud to say that our cold pressed olive oil is one of the best world wide, and even though it isn't known to most, (probably many people in the world don't even know about our beautiful island!), many olive oil connaisseurs appreciate its particular palate and excellent qualities.

A particular characteristic of Maltese Olive Oil is that Malta’s alkaline soil contributes to an extremely low acid content, below 0.5%. In fact, olives coming from older trees are practically devoid of all acidity.

I had been toying with the idea of incorporating Maltese Olive Oil in a range of personal care beauty products for quite a while but had always been put off by the costs. It just annoyed me to see that I could offer my clients soaps and personal care products from distant countries (even from exotic countries such as Syria for pure Aleppo soap) but not a locally made one. So I started off with recipes incorporating a blend of oils, including olive oil and typical Maltese products such as almonds, carob, fig, honey, pomegranate and goats' milk. This summer I finally took the plunge and starting experimenting with batches of Maltese Olive Oil handmade soap. The results were excellent from the start and it was really thrilling to see that my idea could become a reality.

As often happens one thing leads to another and things started moving fast... The Soap Boutique Maltese Olive Oil Collection was born and including handmade soaps, perfumed body oils and face & body scrubs. Official launching will take place end of September in less than 2 weeks' time. Just hope I'll finish all preparations in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment